Molecular Biology is a rapidly evolving multi-discipline science that impacted on rapid development in Medicine, Biomedical Sciences, Pharmacology,Agriculture, and Biotechnology. A key area ofMolecular Biology concerns understanding how various cellular systems interact in terms of the way DNA, RNA and protein synthesis function.Also it concerns with manipulationof genes and protein synthesis both in the test-tube and in living organisms.
The rapid developments in Molecular Genomics and Proteomics necessitate continuous training and knowledge update for scientists and researchers in the field.
The institute of endemic Diseases, University of Khartoum has exceptional experience, and equipped with well qualified Molecular Biologists and lab facilities to run such high quality and state-of-the-art training to universities staff, post graduate students, teaching assistants, scientists and researchers.
This course combines state-of-the-artunderstanding of the fundamental aspects of Molecular Biologyand interactive lectures. The course will provide extensive training in laboratory techniques and practical skills needed in Molecular Biology. The theoretical knowledge and practical aspect provides a solid foundation of knowledge, skills and key techniques in Molecular Biology diagnosis and in biomedicalbasic and translational research.
Who this course is for
1.This course is intended for researchersand post graduate students who need to carry out Molecular laboratory work but who lack the confidence to do it.
2.The course also targets universities staff postgraduate students and often have a limited knowledge and experience in Molecular Biology they need when starting a post graduate degree (M.Sc and PhD students), a lab-based project or a career in the industry
Topics and practical covered
1. Lab safety and instrumentation (Lecture)
2. Biochemical calculation and pipetting techniques (Lecture and Practical)
3. Nucleic Acid (DNA and RNA ) structureand function (Lecture and Practical)
4. Extraction of Nucleic Acids (DNA/RNA) using different methods (lecture)
5. DNA extraction: GuanadineChloride– Chelex method, and to use readymade kits (Practical)
6. Polymerase Chain Reaction ( PCR) and its application(Lecture and Practical)
7. Gel electrophoreses techniques(Practical)
8. Mutation and mutation detection techniques ( i.e. RFLP, DNA sequencing)(Lecture and Practical)
9. Introduction to bioinformatics (gene and genome database search, gene retrieval, primer design, web) cutter) (Lecture and Practical
10.Protein separation and analysis (SDS+ Western Blot)(Lecture and Practical)
After completion of the course the candidate should be able to:
1. At the end of the practical course the participant is expected to a gain confidence and appropriate experience in molecular biology techniques .
2. Accurately, safely and appropriately use all equipment regularly used in DNA/RNA manipulation, including essential equipment.
3. Prepare chemical solutions and buffers to the precision appropriate to the task.
4. Understand, and perform, the most important methods in molecular biology, and be able to interpret the results, designing a strategy to circumvent potential failed experiments (trouble-shooting techniques).
5. Demonstrate knowledge of the biochemical basis underpinning the Molecular Biology and basic Proteomics techniques taught in the workshop.
6. Understand the molecular techniques used in research relevant for understanding the development and treatment of human/animal/plant disease.
1. Sheets, manuals –protocols
2. Power points and software handouts
3. Lab reagents/DNA extraction kits/Buffer
4. PCR reagents and disposables
Dr.Muzamil Mahdi AbdelHamid
1. Dr.Muzamil Mahdi AbdelHamid, PhD Associate Professor of Molecular Biology and Immunology
2. Dr.HishamNooreldaem PhD, Assistant Professor of Molecular Biology, Facutly of Labororty sciences, Sudan University for Science and Technology
3. Ms.Mawada Yousif MSc. of Molecular Medicine, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Khartoum
4. Ms.Hanadi Abdelbagi, University of Khartoum